Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Dolomite Mountains

Guest Traveller: Jeff Featherston from Werribee South, Victoria, Australia.
Favourite Travel Destination: The Dolomite Mountains, Northern Italy.

..."On my first trip overseas I was lucky enough to go to the Dolomite Mountains. I was totally blown away by the spectacular scenery and the unusual rock formations. The Dolomites are completely different to anything we have in Australia and I couldn't get enough of them. I went over pass after pass and thoroughly enjoyed driving on the twisting, winding snake like roads. I almost went over one pass too many. It was at the beginning of winter and the last pass I tried to cross had iced up. The car I was driving had 'summer tyres' which refused to grip on the ice. Fortunately there was a small section of bitumen showing through and using this I carefully nursed the car up and over the pass. I had to drive down very slowly - on the wrong side of the road - until it was clear again. Quite an experience!"...


The Dolomite Mountains cover an area of approximately 11,000 square kms. Nine national nature parks in the region ensure that these precious mountains are protected and preserved for all to enjoy. Often called the Pale Mountains, the Dolomites are the perfect location for just about any outdoor activity you could mention.

No comments: